1. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Safety and quality of abortion care in the United States. 2018 (https://nap.nationalacademies.org/catalog/24950/the-safety-and-quality-of-abortion-care-in-the-united-states).
2. Major B, Applebaum M, Beckman L, Dutton MA, Russo NF, West C. Report of the Task Force on Mental Health and Abortion. American Psychological Association, 2008 (https://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/abortion/mental-health.pdf).
3. Biggs MA, Upadhyay U.D, McCulloch CE, Foster DG. Mental health and well-being in women 5 years after receiving or refusing an abortion: a prospective, longitudinal cohort study. JAMA Psychiatry 2017;74:169–178.
4. Harris LF, Roberts SC, Biggs MA, Roca CH, Foster DG. Perceived stress and emotional social support among women who refuse or obtain abortions in the United States: a prospective cohort study. BMC Women’s Health 2014;14:76–87.
5. Biggs MA, Gould H, Foster DG. Understanding why women seek abortions in the United States. BMC Women’s Health 2013;13:29–29.
6. Biggs MA, Gould H, Barar RE, Foster DG. Five-year trajectories of suicidal ideation among women obtaining or refusing an abortion. Am J Psychiatry 2018;175:845–852.
7. Roberts SCM, Berglas NF, Kimport K. Complex situations: Economic insecurity, mental health, and substance use among pregnant women who are considering—but not having—abortion. PLoS One 202015(1):e0226004–e0226004.
8. Biggs MA, Brown K, Foster DG. Abortion stigma and psychological well-being five years after receiving or being denied an abortion. PLoS One 202015(1):e0226417–e0226417.
9. Shim RS. Dismantling structural racism in psychiatry: A path to mental health equity. Am J Psychiatry 2021;178:592–598.
10. Van Deetshuizen J, There are ten M, The graph r, van Nijnatten CHCJ, Vollebergh WAM. Psychiatric history of aborted women. J Psychiatr Res 2013;47:1737–1743.
11. Steinberg JR, Tschann JM, Ferguson D, Harper CC. Psychosocial factors and preabortion mental health: The importance of stigma. Soc Sci Med 2016;150:67–75.
12. Mosson H, Install the L, Ragosta S, et al. Abortion experiences and preferences of non-transgender, non-binary, and gender-expanding individuals in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021224(4):376.e1–376.e11.
13. Light K.L, Fitelson EM, Weston CA, Wisner K.L. Childbirth and mental disorders. Int Rev Psychiatry 2010;22:453–471.
14. Viguera AC, Cohen LS, Beauford S, Whitfield TH, Baldessarini RJ. Reproductive decisions in women with bipolar disorder after prepregnancy psychiatric counseling. Am J Psychiatry 2002;159:2102–2104.
15. Munk-Olson T, Lorson TM, Pederson CB, Lydegard O, Mortensen PB. Risk of readmission to a psychiatric hospital in women with a history of first-time first-trimester induced abortion and a history of treated psychiatric disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2012;69:159–165.
16. Cameron S. Induced abortion and psychological consequences. Best Practice Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2010;24:657–665.
17. Phelan JC, Link BG. Is racism the root cause of health inequalities? Annu Rev Sociol 2015;41:311–330.
18. Krier-Perry J, Correa-de-Araujo R, Lewis Johnson T, McLemore MR, Nielsen E, Wallace M. Social and Structural Determinants of Health Inequalities in Maternal Health. J Women’s Health (Larchmt) 2021;30:230–235.
19. German J, Jones RK, Onda T. Characteristics of abortion patients in the United States in 2014 and changes since 2008. Guttmacher Institute, May 2016 (https://www.guttmacher.org/report/characteristics-us-abortion-patients-2014).
20. Arnold SB. Reproductive Rights Denied: The Hyde Amendment and Access to Abortion for Native American Women Using Indian Health Care Facilities. Am J Public Health 2014;104:1892–1893.
21. Schuster P, Khanal RC, Niyamato E. Relics of Imperialism: US Foreign Policy on Abortion in the Age of COVID. Sexual reproduction health facts 2020;28:1824319–1824319.
22. Jackson FM, Phillips MT, Hogue CJR, Curry-Owens TY. Examining the burden of gendered racism: Implications for pregnancy outcomes among college-educated African American women. J. Maternal Child Health 2001;5:95–107.
23 Angelota C, Applebaum PS. Criminal charges related to harm to child caused by drug use during pregnancy. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 2017;45:193–203.
24. Raymond E.G, Grimes D.A. Comparative safety of legal induced abortions and childbirth in the United States. Obstet Gynecol 2012;119:215–219.
25 Adante AN, Eisenberg DL, Valentine MC, Leonard J, Maddox K.E.J, Hoofnagle MH. Association between state-level abortion restrictions and maternal mortality in the United States, 1995–2017. Contraceptives 2021;104:496–501.
26. McDormand MF, Thomas M, Declcerk E, Howell EA. Racial and ethnic disparities in maternal mortality in the United States using updated vital records 2016–2017. Am J Public Health 2021;111:1673–1681.
27. Krieger N, Van YG, Hine M, et al. Structural Racism, Historical Redness, and Risk of Preterm Birth in New York City, 2013–2017. Am J Public Health 2020;110:1046–1053.
28. Liu SY, Fiorentini C, Bailey Z, Hine M, McVeigh K, Kaplan D. Structural racism and severe maternal morbidity in New York State. Clin Med Insights Women’s Health 2019;12:1179562X19854778–1179562X19854778.
29. Chambers BD, Erausquin JT, Tanner AE, Nichols TR, Brown-Jeffie S. Examining the Association Between Traditional and New Indicators of State-Level Structural Racism and Birth Outcomes Among Black and White Women. J Racial Ethnic Health Disparities 2018;5:966–977.
30. Mangala K, Hoffman MC, Trump C, O’Grady S, Monk C. Maternal self-harm deaths: an underdiagnosed and preventable outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;221:295–303.
31. Wallace M, Gillispie-Bell V, Cruz K, Davis K, Wilda D. Homicides during pregnancy and the postpartum period in the United States, 2018–2019. Obstet Gynecol 2021;138:762–769.
32. Admon L.K, Winkleman TNA, Jivin K, Tarplan m, Mir JM, Dalton VK. Racial and ethnic disparities in the incidence of severe maternal morbidity in the United States, 2012–2015. Obstet Gynecol 2018;132:1158–1166.
33. Jablensky A.V, Morgan V, Zubrick SR, Bower C, Yelacich LA. Pregnancy, delivery, and neonatal complications in a population-based cohort of women with schizophrenia and major disorders. Am J Psychiatry 2005;162:79–91.
34. Slomian J, Honwo G, Emont P, Register J.Y, Brewer O. Consequences of maternal postpartum depression: a systematic review of maternal and infant outcomes. Women’s Health (London) 2019;15:1745506519844044–1745506519844044.
35. Herman N, Weinstock T, Shiner E, Golan A, Wallfish A. Effect of maternal depression on obstetric outcomes in hospitalized women – a prospective study. Arch Women’s Mental Health 2019;22:85–91.
36. Grossman D, Hendrick E, Fuentes L, et al. Knowledge, opinion, and experience regarding abortion self-induction in Texas. Contraceptives 2015;92:360–361.
37. Ralph L, Foster DG, Raifman S, et al. Prevalence of self-administered abortion among women of reproductive age in the United States. JAMA Netw Open 2020;3(12):e2029245–e2029245.
38. Egan-Torko M, Yanov S. The critical role of midwives in safe self-administered abortion. J Midwife Women’s Health 2021;66:795–800.
39. Zhang J, Shaw K, Shan D, Luo X. Medical Methods for First Trimester Miscarriage. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2022;5:CD002855–CD002855.
40. Frederickson B. The sexual and reproductive health landscape in the United States: current trends and impact of the epidemic. Policy Common, April 21, 2021 (https://policycommons.net/artifacts/1596123/the-sexual-and-reproductive-health-landscape-in-the-us/2285892/).
41. Anderson EM, Cowan SK, Higgins JA, Shmul NB, Wautlett CK. Willing but unable: Physicians’ referral knowledge as barriers to abortion care. SSM Public Health 202117:101002–101002.
42. Stevenson A. Pregnancy-related mortality in a total abortion ban in the United States: a research note on increased mortality due to pregnancy. Demographics 2021;58:2019–2028.
43. Coatsmith K, Jatlaoui TC, Mandel MG, et al. Abortion Surveillance – United States, 2018. MMWR Surveillance Collection 2020;69:1–29.
44. Finer L.B, Frohwirth LF, Dauphiny LA, Singh S, Moore A.M. Causes of Abortion Among US Women: Quantitative and Qualitative Perspectives. A sexual reproductive health perspective 2005;37:110–118.
45. Child Welfare Information Gateway. Child welfare practices to address racial inequality and disparity. Bulletin for Professionals. April 2021 (https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/racial_disproportionality.pdf).
46. Kaplan K, Brusilovsky E, O’Shea AM, Salzer MS. Child Protective Services Disparities and Serious Mental Illness: Results from a National Survey. Psychiatric services 2019;70:202–208.