OMSA will host a Kickoff Celebration of the Month on September 22nd from 3:00pm to 5:30pm at the OMSA office in Suite 215 of the University Student Commons. The event features light refreshments, music and fellowship.
Other events related to Latine Heritage Month include:
- ¡Muevete!: Latin Dance Nights are held every Thursday through October 13 from 6pm to 7pm at Monroe Park. Each night there will be different Latinx-inspired dances.
- Activities Programming Board Bingo Night in association with the Latin Student Association on September 22 at 6 p.m. in the Commons Ballroom.
- Wellbeing Workshop: Understanding Latin American Culture on September 26 at noon in Snead Hall, Room B3187.
- Diversity career and internship fair on September 28 from 1pm to 4pm in the Richmond Salons and Commonwealth Ballroom at the University Student Commons.
- Cultural Conversations with La Salle University, Oaxaca, Mexico on October 3rd and 10th from 2pm to 3pm on Zoom. Cultural Conversations connects VCU students with fellow students from international partner institutions in weekly meetings via Zoom.
- Ella on October 4th from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m., both in the Senate chambers of the SGA, as well as in the student residence of the university and on Zoom. Hear from a Queer + Latina couple about their journey of self-discovery, acceptance, and their pride.\
- Latine Voices of Recovery – Rams in the Recovery speaker range on October 4 at 7 p.m., both in Academic Learning Commons Room 1201 and on Zoom.
- Afro-Colombian portrayal in the film “Encanto”, at 12pm on September 30th on Zoom.
- Latin flat water paddling on October 5th. Held in partnership with OMSA, this event is offered specifically for Latinx-identifying students and RecWell members and is led by Latinx-identifying outdoor adventure program staff.
- Bishop Walter F. Sullivan Lecture Series: Guest Lecturer William Calvo-Quiros from the University of Michigan will be speaking on Zoom on October 5th at 4pm on “Saints Among Us: Migrating Devotions Among Latinx”.
- Be My Own Boss: The Queer Latine Edition on October 6th at the OMSA office at 17:00 Talks and musical performances with Reina Violeta, also known as MusiqReiV, and Alex Dimas.
- Connect through traditional music from Mexico on October 11 at 6 p.m. on Zoom. The Global Education Office will host special culture talks to learn about traditional Mexican music and culture through a choral performance combined with visuals and dance. The event includes a discussion after the concert.
- ¡Virginia Festival! Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month on October 15 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Science Museum of Virginia. The celebration includes honoring people who have contributed to the advancement of Virginia’s Latino/Hispanic communities.
For more information, see https://linktr.ee/vcuomsa.
Subscribe to VCU News
Subscribe to VCU News at newsletter.vcu.edu and receive a selection of stories, videos, photos, news clips and event announcements in your inbox.