It’s finally feeling like fall in Richmond, and this city is packed with lots of things to do every weekend leading up to the holidays.
Be smart: We’ll continue to walk you through each week with a great pick for the weekend, but go ahead and mark your calendar now for these nine not-to-miss events over the next four weeks, starting this weekend.
September 23rd and 24th
🎡 The State Fair of Virginia takes place Friday through October 2nd at The Meadow Event Park. Tickets start at $10 and wristbands for unlimited rides are $22.
- Do rides, funnel cakes and wildlife spotting. Stay for the bacon-wrapped corn dogs, live music, and hog races.
🍻 With its new beer garden event on Friday (6pm-10pm) and Saturday (11am-10pm), Maymont enters the Oktoberfest, the place of beer drinking. $10 adult tickets ($5 children) give you access to live music, a kids’ zone and lawn games.
- German food and beer are available.
🎻 The RVA East End Festival takes place on Saturday from 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Henry L. Marsh III Elementary School (813 N. 28th St).
- The free music and dance festival raises money for the performing arts programs at Richmond’s East End schools.
- It features student performances (RPS All City Marching Band plays the intro) as well as professionals including the Richmond Symphony.
🎤 The 2nd Street Festival, Celebrates all things Jackson Ward and kicks off its 34th year with two days of free fun on October 1st.
- DJ Grandmaster Flash will be leading the music portion of the festival on October 1st. I Would Die 4U: A Musical Tribute to Prince will lead on Sunday.
🐷 Pig on the Hill – a BBQ and beer themed fundraiser for the Church Hill Association – will be held on Saturday, October 1 from 12:00pm to 6:00pm.
- Live music, several local restaurants serving BBQ and plenty of beer will be available at Libby Hill Park. Free entry with a suggested $5 donation.
🪕 The Richmond Folk Festival is in its 18th year in a row, but this free event is undoubtedly a must-attend event in Richmond for any three days.
- The Virginia Folklife stage focuses on the connection between Latin music and dance and Virginia folk traditions.
🇮🇳 The Festival of India brings together the fantastic food, culture, clothing and jewelery of India at the convention center for two days.
- Did we mention the food? You can visit dozens of food vendors and taste all kinds of dishes from around the country. Admission is free.
🦪 The OystoberFest – an oyster and beer themed fundraiser for St. Thomas’ Episcopal Church in Ginter Park – takes place on Saturday 15th October from 12pm to 6pm.
- Live music, beer, sausages, and steamed, fried, or raw oysters are for sale at the church. Free entry with a suggested $2 donation.
🎃 Scott’s Addition Pumpkin Festival brings together bands, beer, food stalls and a costume contest in this small up-and-coming neighborhood called Scott’s Addition.
- The free event will take place on Saturday October 15 from 12pm to 6pm on Arthur Ashe Boulevard which will be closed to traffic for the Broad to Leigh event.