The Sentinel offers nonprofits and other community organizations the opportunity to advertise upcoming events on the community calendar three days prior to the event, free of charge. Events that require registration can be advertised up to two weeks before the registration deadline.
Events that require a purchase from a for-profit organization are not eligible for the calendar, even if a donation is made to the organization.
Email articles to [email protected] at least a week in advance; Call (717) 248-6741; online, Virtual Newsroom at www.lewistownsentinel.com; or by mail or drop off at The Sentinel, 352 Sixth St., PO Box 588 Lewistown, PA 17044. The publisher reserves the right to edit all submissions.
You must provide a phone number for verification purposes. The phone number may not be published unless otherwise stated.
• Chicken Grill —
11 am, September 24, Ellen Chapel Church. $7 for half. Side dishes and baked goods available. Make a reservation at (717) 248-9576 or (717) 250-7776.
• Goose Day Dinner – 11:00 am to sold out, Sept. 29, Reedsville Fire Co. Eat in or take out. $15 includes goose, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, corn, bun and apple dumpling. To pre-order, call (717) 667-6110. Leave a name, phone number, how many meals and when you would like pickup.
• Free Fall Gardening Workshop and Product Sharing – 6:30-7:30pm, September 27, Body and Soul Community Center, Strodes Mills. Learn how to prepare your garden for winter so you can have a great garden next spring. Gardeners can bring their additional produce to share with other participants. To reserve a spot, call Rose Massie at (717) 899-6044 or email [email protected] The workshop is sponsored by Community Partnerships and United Way of Mifflin-Juniata.
• Dinner with ham to go – pick up from 16:00 to 18:00,
Oct. 8, Lower Tuscarora Presbyterian Church, 54 Church Road, Mifflin (Academy). The meal consists of ham with raisin sauce, mashed potatoes/gravy, candied sweet potatoes, corn, green beans and cake. Last day to pre-order is October 1 by calling (717) 319-4527.
• Mifflin County Chapter of the Pennsylvania Association of School Retirees Luncheon Meeting – Thursday, October 6, noon, at the Birch Hill Event Center, Burnham. The program will feature CARIES’ Bill Wade on Medicare Fraud. Menu: Caprese salad, ham, sweet potatoes, green beans, almonds, rolls, gingerbread with whipped cream. The cost is $14. Reserve by Friday, September 30 with a number of attendees by emailing [email protected] or calling (717) 437-6024. All school retirees are welcome.
Saturday 24 Sept
• Shelter Services Flea Market – 9am-2pm, Basement of Parkview Brethren Church, 990 Parcheytown Road, Lewistown. Benefits Shelter Services.
• Mifflin County Library Fall Book Sale – 9:00 am – 3:45 pm at the Library, 123 N. Wayne Street, Lewistown. Information about the library and its services can be accessed at www.mifflincountylibrary.org.
• Hoagie Sale — 10:30am-?. Arch Rock United Methodist Church Community Hall, opposite the church. There will be ham and cheese and turkey and cheese sandwiches. Call (717) 436-2882 with questions or large orders. Leave a message if no reply
• Toy Drive/Cruise-in – 1pm-5pm, Chevrolet Register, Thompsontown. rain date
October 1. Participation is free, but donations for a new, unpacked city would be appreciated. A “live Elvis” conducted by Denny Heckard, performs and food will be on sale. Information: (717) 535-4155.
Sunday 25 September
• Goose Day Road Rally —
9am, registration at Wingman Brew and Que.
• Complimentary Congregational Lunch – 11:30 am to 12:30 pm at Lewistown Presbyterian Church, 17 E Third St. Please enter through Third Street doors.
• Breaking Bread Dinner – 5:00 pm, St Mark’s Episcopal Church, 21 S Main St, Lewistown. The take away menu is fried chicken.
Monday 26 Sept
No events reported.
Tuesday, September 27th
• Complimentary Community Meal – 11:30am – 1:00pm, New Life Church, 101 N. Beech St., Burnham. Homemade corn chowder, peanut butter sandwiches, fruit and dessert are served.
• Blood Drive – 12:30pm – 6:00pm, Port Royal Community Building. Appointments requested. For appointments and “Fast Pass” Visit: www.redcross.org.
Upcoming meetings, including requests for missing classmates, will be posted as part of the calendar and should be sent to [email protected]m. Brief reports of reunions and photos of reunions with those identified in the order of their appearance are accepted for publication in the Saturday Living section and should be sent to [email protected]
• Harshbarger Reunion – Noon, Oct. 1, Longfellow Playground. Bring an item up for auction.
• Stewart and Emma (Arnold) Wagner Family Reunion – Sunday, October 2nd at The Annsfield, Route 35, Mifflintown. Email [email protected] for more information.
• Chief Logan Class of 1958 – Meets at 4pm on October 8th at the Belleville Store or Tom and Ann McNabb’s Store on the corner of Belleville. For overnight stays, call (717) 935-2390. Dinner is served at 18:00. Call Nellie Wilson, (717) 953-9288 by September 26th with the number of attendees.
• Rothrock High School Reunion of 1956 – Noon, October 12, 2022, Hoss’s Steak and Sea House. Information: Call Shirley at 717-248-2746.
• 1976 Lewistown Area High School reunion “When I’m 64” -7pm-10pm, Friday October 14, 2022, Burnt Timbers Winery, 45 Fisher Bee. Lane, Granville. No costs. Donations welcome. Cash bar, snacks. Bring your own chair. RSVP to [email protected] or Facebook.com/Lewistown Area High School Class of 1976.