Blizzard China: Millions of players lose access to ‘World of Warcraft’ and other games as it goes dark


Hong Kong
CNN

Millions of players in China are missing out on technology. “World of Technology” Warcraft” which lost access to the technology of “World of Warcraft”) and other video games that were more popular in the world.

The company’s operations in China were suspended at midnight local time on Tuesday, marking the end of an era for hobbyists, after its long-running license agreement with NetEase (NTES) expired.

“World of Warcraft,” also known as “WoW,” is a popular online role-playing game that allows users to battle monsters and travel through the medieval world of Azeroth.

Many players around the world have grown up with the drug, including China. This has been emphasized in recent days, while the fans of China have shown their disbelief over the losses they have been doing for a long time on social media.

“When I woke up, I still didn’t want to accept it [it],” said one user on Weibo, China’s Twitter-like platform, on Tuesday. “I cried all night to sleep because the game went offline. I dreamed I was crying in the middle of class.”

Also Read :  3 events will set the market's tone for October

One player described “World of Warcraft” as “my first love.”

“I can’t forget it,” they said.

The suspension follows a heated dispute between Blizzard, a division of Activision Blizzard (ATVI), and NetEase.

Foreign publishers must work with local partners to offer video games in China. However, last November, Blizzard and NetEase announced that they would not be renewing their licensing agreement, which was set to expire this month.

Those agreements cover the publishing of some of Blizzard’s most popular titles in mainland China, including “World of Warcraft,” “Hearthstone,” and “Diablo III,” since 2008. and more details are not.

Now, it looks like the conversation was a bit awkward.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Blizzard said it had reached out to NetEase to request “their assistance in exploring a six-month extension to the contract.”

The American company said it asked NetEase to allow its fans to continue playing without interruption, “based on our feelings as players, and the frustration that Chinese players have shown us.”

“Unfortunately, after renewing discussions last week, NetEase has not accepted our proposal for an extension,” Blizzard said.

Also Read :  Jefferies Financial Group Analysts Lower Earnings Estimates for MACOM Technology Solutions Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:MTSI)

NetEase responded with its own statement last week.

In a rare statement, the Chinese technology giant accused Blizzard of being blindsided by “immediate information” and called the US company’s decision “unfortunate, inappropriate, and inappropriate.” It is not compatible with business strategy.”

NetEase also pointed out that Blizzard has already “started the process of finding new partners” in China, labeling the Hangzhou company as “unfair”.

People visiting Blizzard Entertainment's 'World of War' stand during an exhibition in Shanghai in October 2018.

The public outcry marked an unexpected turn in the company’s 14-year partnership.

Under a separate agreement, the companies are working together on the joint development and publication of “Diablo Immortal,” a multiplayer game that allows users to kill demons in the world. NetEase said in a statement in November that this partnership will continue.

Blizzard He said in December that “World of Warcraft” fans can support the history of their game and ensure that any progress is saved while he destroys his contract and looks for a new partner.

This week’s shutdown was emotional, even for senior executives at NetEase.

Also Read :  Kawhi Leonard Is Becoming a Fashion Icon

In a LinkedIn post on Monday, Simon Zhu, head of global investment and partnerships for NetEase Games, detailed how he grew up with Blizzard games in China, including the classic titles “Warcraft” and ” Diablo”.

“Only [a] “It’s just a few hours before the Blizzard Games servers in China are closed, and that’s a huge deal for players in China,” he said.

“Today is a sad time to see the server shut down, and we don’t know how things will be in the future. The biggest victims will be the players in China who live and breathe in those worlds.”

Activision Blizzard, which previously had a Chinese partner before joining forces with NetEase, said it is still looking for a new partner.

“Our commitment to the players in mainland China is here strong as we continue to work with Tencent to distribute ‘Call of Duty: Mobile,’ and continue active discussions with partners to continue gaming for Blizzard’s strong franchise, “said a spokesperson for Activision Blizzard to CNN.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.